cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: CloudStack 4.0 KVM system requirements
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 12:56:44 GMT
On 08/08/2012 01:46 AM, Chip Childers wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>>>
>>> (Disclaimer: nofi!)
>>>
>>> Do people run Fedora on production platforms? Isn't CentOS/RHEL the
>>> distribution for production and Fedora for Desktops and cutting edge test
>>> machines?
>>>
>>> Wido
>>
>> You might be surprised. Even I am surprised at some of the folks using
>> Fedora in production for their compute nodes. They do tend to be like
>> you though, Wido, doing stuff on the edge of where KVM/libvirt
>> currently is, instead of where EL6 left them.
>>
>> --David
>>

> I'd also make a distinction between the compute nodes themselves, and
> the OS responsible for the CloudStack management server.  In my world,
> we are quite conservative with the compute nodes, but require the
> newer packages available in the Fedora repos (vs. CentOS or RHEL).
> Example:  In 2011, Apache Qpid was significantly behind in the RHEL
> repos, while Fedora was close to that project's latest release.  In
> that example, the Fedora distro was actually more stable for our
> purposes.

I'm talking about the Hypervisors here indeed, not the management server.

Also, the management server runs on pretty much everything as long as
you have Java 1.6 you're fine.

> I'm absolutely fine with skipping Fedora for this first release, but I
> would prefer if it was one of our target OS types going forward.

We should always evaluate this.

Right now I have Ubuntu 12.04 and CentOS 6.3 machines in my CloudStack
dev setup, I'll do my best to do all the testing on both distributions.

Wido