cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: System VM OS (was RE: IPtables deb in source repo)
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 20:14:39 GMT

On 08/07/2012 08:26 PM, Kevin Kluge wrote:
> [...]
distros would work, but this is a piece of CloudStack where a conservative position (going
for security and stability over perf and features) is critical.  Chiradeep is offline for
a few days.  I'd really like to hear his thoughts and whatever experiments and research he
did prior to selecting Debian.

> I like your point that we could choose an OS that is on the list of commercially supported
guest OSes for the various hypervisors.  But given how few problems we've had with Debian
I'm not sure how much practical gain we'll get from making a change for this reason.

This could however be the point where we say that .deb files are needed!
This way we can easily build a Debian and/or Ubuntu System VM and users
can download both templates based on what they want.

Like Edison already said, it's just a Debian VM with a bunch of scripts.

All those scripts can be packaged. Packaging would even make it easier
to keep track of what files we actually have inside a System VM and what
we are doing.

The whole System VM's are still a bit foggy to me.

Whenever we're able to build DEBs we should also be able to build RPM's
just as easy.

Wido