cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Schweikert <rjsch...@suse.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack 4.0 KVM system requirements
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 13:47:11 GMT
On 08/06/2012 09:32 AM, David Nalley wrote:

>>> Yeah, exactly.  Most CloudStack users will not build from source, and they
>>> rationally expect some statement of Linux distro (for KVM) that is required.
>>> They just need to know what ISOs they can boot the hypervisor host from and
>>> expect CloudStack to manage the host.
>>>
>>> For Ubuntu, I'd personally be fine with only supporting 12.04, but then we
>>> should have a procedure that tells people running CS 3.0.2 with ubuntu 10.04
>>> how to upgrade to CS 4.0 with Ubuntu 12.04 with minimal downtime.  Same for
>>> RHEL/CentOS at 6.2+.
>>>

>> Can we conclude this with:
>>
>> Supported platforms for CloudStack 4.0 KVM HyperVisors:
>> - Ubuntu 12.04
>> - CentOS 6.2
>> - CentOS 6.3
>> - RHEL 6.2
>> - RHEL 6.3
>>
>> If people want to run on a different platform, we require:
>> - libvirt 0.9.4
>>
>> That is actually it, most of the heavy lifting is done by libvirt.
>>
>> The upgrade process for Hypervisors:
>> 1. Put in maintenance mode
>> 2. Make sure all instances are migrated away
>> 3. Upgrade the underlying Operating System
>> 4. Upgrade CloudStack Agent
>>
>> That should work.
>>
>> Wido
>
> No opensuse support?

Please..... ;)

I'll build it in OBS (openSUSE Build Service) actually building 3.x
already (will also build for SLES). However, I have not been able to
keep up with all the dependency changes and some other stuff, thus
having the deps documented well is imperative for me to get this done in
a reasonable time period.

While 3.x is building I've never tested the result, also one big concern
is the Xen support and the Xen-Java stuff. I was chasing a lot of OCaml
dependencies when I wanted to pull this into OBS, and I am not certain
whether or not I was on a wilde goose chase. Thus in this direction I
will need some help.

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead