cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Mice Xia" <mice_...@tcloudcomputing.com>
Subject [Discuss] VM Snapshot
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 02:50:13 GMT
Hi, All,

I’d like to propose a new feature ‘VM snapshot’.

Currently CS support volume snapshot, which is an EC-2 like public cloud solution.
IMO, it addresses problems like ‘what if my volume lost or broke down, or what if my primary
storage got an unrecoverable disruption’, in other words, it’s more like a backup solution,
and it does take considerable long time to backup and restore, especially for large volumes
which are unfortunately favored by customers.

What I want to propose is snapshots on VM, just like what Xenserver and VMware ESXi do.
It addresses requirement such as 'I want to save everything right now so that I can roll back
in the future, and both operations can be done within seconds’, mainly used for private
cloud.

Plan for the first stage consists of support in Xenserver and ESXi, and draft requirements
are as followings:
- Create VM snapshot. VM snapshot consists of: its CPU/memory status (for Xenserver it needs
enterprise version), and volumes; service offerings. stored in PS, snapshots are removed when
VM is expunged.
- List snapshots for a specified VM
- Rollback VM to a specified VM
- Delete a specified snapshot
- Does not conflict with volume snapshot
- Create and restore should be done within seconds.

Before I started off writing some documents on wiki and merge code, I'd like to welcome any
comments and flames.

Regards
Mice