cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Mice Xia" <mice_...@tcloudcomputing.com>
Subject Re: Regarding storage network
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 01:40:30 GMT
Edison,

Thanks for your clarification.
It's very clear now. Cloudstack does not care about how hypervisor access PS, admin can configure
a separate NIC on hypervisors only for primary storage access if necessary.

Regards
Mice

-----Original Message-----
From: Edison Su [mailto:Edison.su@citrix.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 8:15 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Regarding storage network

This network is not configured and used by CloudStack, even you can add xen.storage.network.device
in cloudstack mgt server.
The storage network between hypervisor and primary storage, or secondary storage is configured
by admin himself, the hypervisor or cloudstack doesn't care about it much, as hypervisor accesses
storage through Layer 3. As long as the routing table(storage pool ip address and the dedicated
storage network nic) on hypervisor host is configured correctly, storage network works well
automatically.

> In CS 3.x, the term 'storage network' seems to describe traffic between
> primary storage and secondary storage[1], which is completely different
> from that in 2.2.y.

The storage network added in CS 3.x, is for secondary storage. The typical usage case is for
VMware, copying snapshot from primary storage to secondary storage(and vice versa) is operated
inside SSVM. Having a separate network to access secondary storage will improve the process.
For xenserver and KVM, it only used when downloading templates/ISO, copying volumes between
zone, etc, that all the operations conducted inside SSVM.

> Can I jump to a conclusion that, the old storage network has been
> eliminated and it would use the same network as management network use,
> and from now on storage network always refer to [1] ?

The old storage network still there, but you can't configure and don't need to configure in
cloudstack.