cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Darren Shepherd" <dar...@godaddy.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Binaries (jars) in our source tree/source releases.
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2012 03:32:15 GMT
All,

I'd like to give my two cents about the CloudStack build system and this
current discussion. I tried to read through the whole thread and get
the full context but I apologize if I've missed anything.

The problems I've seen with the current build system is that it

1) Packages the binaries dependencies
2) Does not integrate into the maven ecosystem

The great thing about the current build system is that it works.
Seriously, thats a really compelling feature.

So the current build system is spread across

* rpm spec
* debian rules
* waf
* ant

So in the context of looking for a new build system, it would probably
be best to focus on combining the functionality of waf and ant into one
"thing". The rpm and dpkg should be seperate because the distro
specific package managers will always want to have their way and not
want to screw with our gradle or whatever. So I do agree that gradle
would probably be a good replacement for waf and ant, BUT.... I really
don't think thats the right way to go right now.

If one was to try to replace all the functionality of waf and ant, your
signing up for a lot of work right now and it kinda goes against the
greatest feature of the current system in that the current system works.
 So while I agree long term we should probably get to gradle, I think we
should focus more on the issues at hand. Here's what I propose. I
think we should look at replacing the majority of the ant scripts with
maven but try to keep the rest of things intact. This will allow us to
solve the main issues with the smallest amount of change in the shortest
amount of time. Once we have a maven environment, transitioning to
gradle is relatively easy (if we end up doing that eventually).

I'm willing to take on this effort. I have worked a lot of with
CloudStack 2.2 in the past and one of the first things I did with
CloudStack was to figure out how to build it with maven. All of our
extensions to CloudStack were written using Spring and Maven and thus I
had to figure out how to get those two frameworks integrated into
CloudStack. A lot has change since 2.2, but I'm sure I could easily
figure that out. I'm also very experienced with the rest of the build
process as we had to rebuild CloudStack RPM's from scratch to integrate
all of our changes. So I also understand building the systemvm.iso (if
that still exists?), the init scripts, wscript_configure, etc. I've
messed with it all.

Let me know if you want me to head down this path. It would probably
just take me a week or two to knock this out and then you guys can
decide if this is a 4.0 or post-4.0 thing. One huge warning up front
though. Maven is a build by convention framework and kinda likes it if
you actually use its conventions. This means the directory structure of
all the of the java stuff will be moved around. One could make maven
respect the existing layout, but your doing yourself and future
developers a disservice if your using maven and not following the
conventions.

Darren