cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: Response on CC-BY-SA (Was Re: Documentation Licenses: CC-BY-SA 3.0?)
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 18:25:16 GMT
On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 02:04:41PM -0400, Eric Christensen wrote:
> On 08/09/2012 01:00 PM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> > I'm pleased to say that I received a rapid response on
> > legal-discuss from Greg Stein:
> >
> > "The ASL 1.1 license became the AL 2.0 license by dropping the
> > "Software" term. The ALv2 is applicable to documentation. Please
> > use that for all doc.
> >
> > Cheers, -g"
> >
> > See: http://markmail.org/message/wswgys56yelbd44f
>
> Removing the word "software" does not make a good documentation
> license.  There are many portions of the license that do not apply to
> documentation and adds some interesting aspects to using pieces and
> parts of the documentation downstream.

It may not be an ideal documentation license, but it seems that is the
license that is preferred by Apache for docs as well as code. You're
free to raise that point on legal-discuss, too, of course.

I'd like to wrap this up pretty quickly though, and we've gotten a
pretty definite response on the matter.

Best,

Joe
--