cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastian Wiedenroth <sebastian.wiedenr...@skylime.net>
Subject Re: SystemVMs on Network Storage
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:05:12 GMT

Am 18.07.2012 um 11:03 schrieb Wido den Hollander:
> On 18-07-12 10:40, Sebastian Wiedenroth wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently working on a patch to support Sheepog [1] as primary storage.
>> The changes are similar to those proposed by the recently posted RBD patch.
>
> Nice! Shouldn't we team this up? In my RBD patch I already layed a bit of groundwork
for Sheepdog, so we should prevent our patches conflicting.

Sure. I'm currently trying to get some needed changes into libvirt upstream.
After that and some cleaning up of my code i can rebase it to the rbd branch.
The changes should be rather small.

> Would be nice if Apache CloudStack 4.0 could have both RBD and Sheepdog! :)

Absolutely!

>> Is there a better way to do this?
>> Should I just disable Sheepdog for system vms and let them run on a "regular" primary
storage?

> I don't see a better way at the moment and I've chosen the easy way out by excluding
RBD for deployment of System VM's, you probably saw that in the FirstFitAllocator.

> As long as the System VM's are being build with all kinds of scripts I really don't see
a clean way to do this.

Ok, sounds good.

Best regards,
Sebastian