cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Marketplace - need feedback
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:04:55 GMT

On 7/11/12 11:11 AM, "Jie Feng" <Jie.Feng@citrix.com> wrote:

>Thanks John for the feedback. I looked at OpenNebula marketplace (thanks
>Sebastien for contributing the link), which is a marketplace of virtual
>appliance metadata hosted by OpenNebula. In that scenario, admin needs to
>go to this marketplace website to import virtual appliances into its
>cloud. The only type of product supported is virtual appliance. I
>proposed to have the marketplace source code being part of an add-on
>feature admin can install with CloudStack (instead of a global hosting
>service) for two reasons:
>
>1. Simplify the experience for admins so that they don't need to go to
>another place to get the listings

This may be so, but it seems to me that those contributing their listings
will have to
A) sign or acknowledge the Apache CLA
B) Grant the ASF copyright license for the contribution.

This seems onerous and perhaps awkward. To me it seems that the
contributions are nothing more than marketing messages ("this product does
X function and it is great because it does Y) and metadata. Furthermore,
there is no way for other marketplace participants to evaluate (rankings)
these messages. A third point is that it is hard to keep these up-to-date
as marketing messages change more often than there are releases. As John K
said, it seems more appropriate to host these elsewhere. The thirdparty
hosters can also add useful information such as rankings and versioning.

>2. Enable admin to offer its own marketplace with support for both
>templates and SaaS/PaaS

It seems to me what is required is:
A. A packaging format (zip of html/javascript+manifest for e.g.) that
marketplace sellers can specify their wares
B. A mechanism in CloudStack that can fetch a listing of these offerings
from a URL
C. A way for the admin to specify the above URL or URLs inside CloudStack
so that the end-user marketplace UI can fetch these package manifests.