cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] The CloudStack Brand
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:52:35 GMT
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 6:15 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
> > Hi folks:
> >
> > So one of the things that PMCs are charged with is maintaining the
> > brand of a project[1][2], and while it's a responsibility of the PMC,
> > I brought the discussion here to enable some broader conversations and
> > to solicit input from folks in general.
> >
> > This discussion is not about the mascot - but rather the name and
> > logo. (or in trademark terms, the wordmark, logo, logotype)
> >
> > As a project we are provided tremendous flexibility in establishing
> > our brand - you'll even note some projects have completely changed
> > their name (Cordova nee CallBack, nee Phonegap). In this email I am
> > not going to share my opinion (I'll follow up with that in a bit), but
> > rather want to call for participation on this topic. Please weigh in.
> >
> > --David
> >
> > [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#brand-policy
> > [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility
>

> Hi folks,
>
> I am back, this time with my opinion. I am breaking this up into two
> sections:
> 1. my stance
> 2. my reasoning
>
> Branding is an interesting thing to me, and I am biased wrt to this
> project, as I think I had a small part in promoting the existing
> CloudStack brand.
>
> #Stance
> My personal stance is that the name should be 'Apache CloudStack' .

I am in complete agreement, especially since the mark has already been
taken by Citrix and most likely is clear and free for Apache after the
handoff.

Also there's no reason to abandon all the investment to date on this mark.
You summarize all these very well in the justification section below.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex