cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mel...@eu.citrix.com>
Subject CloudStack 4.0 release plan
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 01:33:07 GMT
Hi all,

After my draft release plan last week, I've taken the feedback that I got (thanks for that,
everyone) and I think we're ready to commit to this plan now.

The timescales are very tight, but that's the aim - get something out as soon as we can, to
make our first release as an Apache-incubated project.  I'll be keeping track of who's doing
what, so that we can keep on schedule.  Please let me know if there's anything that comes
up that might be a problem.

I would like to highlight the issue of internationalization for this release.  At the moment,
we have no-one looking at the various translations in the tree, so the 4.0 release will be
English only, and we will follow up later with translation packs as and when they are ready.
 If someone wants to invest time in a translation immediately, then we would be able to take
them during our release-candidate phase.  Please volunteer if that is the case.  The release-candidate
phase won't be a complete UI freeze, so you may need to do a few translations at the last
minute, but the bulk of the job can be tackled right now.

So the plan looks like this:

Development phase: Now - Friday 10 August.
Release branch opens: Monday 13 August.
Stability and bugfix work: Monday 13-Friday 17 August.
First release candidate build: Friday 17 August.
Testing and subsequent release candidates: Monday 20 - Friday 31 August.
Release: Tuesday 4 September (the day after Labor Day and the week after Linux Foundation's
CloudOpen).

This is going to be a time-based release: we will take features if they are ready, but we're
not going to delay the release if they aren't.

Other things that are happening:

David Nalley, Pradeep Soundararajan, Chip Childers, and Edison Su are working on sorting out
our build dependencies, turning off things that depend on non-Apache SDKs (libvirt-java, mysql-connector-java,
NetApp, F5, and VMware SDKs).
Alena Prokharchyk is preparing the VPC branch for merge.
Vijay Venkatachalam, Pranav Saxena, Deepak Garg are preparing the autoscale branch for merge.
I'm getting automated testing stood up.
Jessica Tomechak and Radhika Puthiyetath will be finalizing the documentation in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Ewan.