cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mel...@eu.citrix.com>
Subject CloudStack 4.0 release plan
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 23:42:33 GMT
Hi all,

I'm putting together a plan for a CloudStack 4.0 release.  This will be the first release
under the Apache (incubated) banner, which is the main reason for the change in major version
number.

This plan is a draft, and your comments are more than welcome.


Development phase: Now - Friday 10 August.
Release branch opens: Monday 13 August.
Stability and bugfix work: Monday 13-Friday 17 August.
Release candidate build: Friday 17 August.
Testing testing testing: Monday 20 - Friday 31 August.
Release: Tuesday 4 September (the day after Labor Day and the week after Linux Foundation's
CloudOpen).


In the development phase we still have some library dependencies that we need to sort out,
so that we can ship an official release without depending on non-Apache-licensed software.
 There is a list here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Moving+dependencies+to+ASF+approved+licenses.
 Most of this is done now though, and all the major refactoring seems to be under control.

We have a number of feature branches that were taken from the 3.0.x series while we were waiting
for the dependencies to get sorted out on master, and these are ready to come into mainline.
 Now that we know that things are under control, we should take these and propose them for
review and submission into master.


Once the major features are merged and the dependencies are all sorted out, we should create
a 4.0 branch and stabilize (it's been a lot of churn in the past couple of months!).  From
the plan above, that gives us 1 week of general stability work, plus 2 weeks of testing and
iteration on release-candidate builds.  I'll be encouraging people to slow down the rate of
bugfixes over those last two weeks, so that we can get more stable and give people time to
test things in depth.

All being well, this will give us a decent 4.0 release in early September.

Cheers,

Ewan.


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message