cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: KVM code will be moved to plugin folder
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:46:00 GMT
So basically for a good portion of CloudStack users, we're removing functionality that they're
currently using.

Do we have any idea what percentage of CS users compile from source vs use packaged versions?
How many users of the packaged product will decide to switch to a different platform where
they don't have to jump through hoops to get it to work?

If we go this route, and some third party happens to be packaging CS builds with kvm support
enabled, would/could the Apache CloudStack download page provide a link to that?

I know this has been discussed from a legal/engineering POV, but I'm envisioning some amount
of teeth gnashing, just wondering the best way to handle it…I don't want to see headlines
"CloudStack removes support for KVM" which is what the more dramatic will say.

John

On Jul 25, 2012, at 6:00 PM, Edison Su wrote:

> As kvm code depends on libvirt-java, which is incompatible with Apache license. I want
to move it to plugin folder as we already did for other hypervisors, and add a compile option
to turn on/off KVM compilation. By default, it's turned off.