cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject scalable networking in Apache CloudStack (presented at Carrier Cloud Summit 2012)
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 01:30:17 GMT
I recently participated in a panel at Carrier Cloud 2012 and also gave a talk on scalable networking
in Apache CloudStack. I put the presentation here:
http://www.slideshare.net/chiradeep_v/scalable-networking-in-apache-cloudstack

Please pay attention to the "notes" below the presentation — the presentation is mostly
images without text (there's a tab for comments and a tab for Notes).

The conference was mostly attended by grizzled veterans of the networking world (think BGP,
MPLS, etc) that have been writing RFCs and doing complicated IP networking stuff for the carrier
world. Noted folks there were David Ward (Cisco), Prodip Sen (Verizon), Kireeti Kompella (Juniper),
Bruce Davie (Nicira), Yakov Rekhter (Juniper). Clearly I was not in the same league :). Interestingly
there was a lot of skepticism about SDN (from the vendor side mostly). But my presentation
was well received, mostly because they got some insight into how a cloud used and deployed
in Apache CloudStack

Most folks on the carrier side had only vaguely heard of CloudStack — they were mostly from
the packet engineering side, so that is excusable :)

By far the most interesting talk was from Microsoft — Parantap Lahiri described how they
use L3 networking with NVGRE overlays throughout their data centers along with host-based
firewalls  and virtual loadbalancers. This dovetails somewhat with the scaling approaches
we use in Apache CloudStack.

--
Chiradeep