cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Baremetal thoughts
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:25:46 GMT
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Frank Zhang <Frank.Zhang@citrix.com> wrote:
> You may have known CloudStack has baremetal support in 2.2.14, let's call it baremetal1.
> Baremetal1 uses PING(Partimage Is Not Ghost) to do image provisioning, now I am working
on designing baremetal2 which would support kickstart installation and security group(for
Linux).
into my mind http://nickapedia.com/2012/05/21/lex-parsimoniae-cloud-provisioning-with-a-razor/.

> Any thoughts are welcome.

So the immediate project that jumps to mind is Cobbler, but there are
licensing issues with inclusion.
Razor itself is nice and looks fascinating, but it boots a Linux image
for initial inventory - is that a problem? (Same problem as PING)
http://puppetlabs.com/blog/introducing-razor-a-next-generation-provisioning-solution/
I suppose we could not ship the bootable image, but that seems a bit broken.

--David