cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Lu Heng <h...@anytimechinese.com>
Subject Re: Can we use other language here?
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 20:56:42 GMT
Hi

Thanks again for everybody's reply.

"And I am quite believe in English education in China"

That is as true as the level of the tech person, of course I am almost
100% certain , for any given country, a high level tech can perfectly
understand English.

But I think that shouldn't be a reason to exclude a everyday tech to
know and understand the project.

Most everyday tech have very limited English language skill as far as
my company in China's recurring experiences concerned.

And as I am living in the Netherlands, one of most common please for
English use country outside of English native country, I still see
people that don't quite understand or comfortable using English.

By offering localized language mailing list, I think it will border
the community by many means.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Sheng Yang <sheng@yasker.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:

>>> I'd see a cloudstack-users-cn mailinglist earlier then a Chinese developer
>>> list.
>>>
>>> My €0,02 says we should stick to English on the development list to keep
>>> collaboration consistent. English isn't my native language either, but it
>>> seems to be accepted as the language in software development?
>>>
>>> As far as I know English is harder to learn for Chinese people due to the
>>> huge language differences. I wouldn't vote against a Chinese development
>>> list, but I wouldn't endorse it either, due to the above reasons.
>>>
>>> Wido

>> Generally a project uses a single language for development purposes
>> and while there is no technical barrier, splitting up the developer
>> community by language seems more deleterious than beneficial.
>>
>> This is further complicated by the fact that decisions have to be made
>> on the mailing list - which then begs the question - where can binding
>> decisions be made? In Apache projects that is supposed to happen on
>> the -dev list. However with two -dev lists that becomes a bit more
>> difficult.
>>
>>  So my personal take on the matter:
>> We have a number of developers for whom English is not their native
>> tongue - but it remains a common tongue for us. I'd certainly have no
>> objection to language-specific user mailing lists. But missing entire
>> development conversations, strikes me as a bad thing.
>>
>> Thoughts, comments, flames?
>
> Agree. There should be no knowledge barrier between developers.
>
> And I am quite believe in English education in China. Again, don't
> worry about grammar or misspell etc.
>
> And localized user mailing is necessary I think.
>
> --Sheng
>>
>> --David

Kind regards.
Lu

This transmission is intended solely for the addressee(s) shown above.
It may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. Any review, dissemination or use
of this transmission or its contents by persons other than the
intended addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please notify this office immediately and
e-mail the original at the sender's address above by replying to this
message and including the text of the transmission received.