cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Scott <Dave.Sc...@eu.citrix.com>
Subject RE: [Xen-API] Why is the vhd-util binary committed to the CloudStack source repo?
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 13:05:20 GMT
Hi,

I'd much rather we stored timestamps in UTC rather than in local time. Does anyone know what
these timestamps are actually for?

Cheers,
Dave

From: xen-api-bounces@lists.xen.org [mailto:xen-api-bounces@lists.xen.org] On Behalf Of Mike
McClurg
Sent: 31 May 2012 09:03
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org; xen-api@lists.xen.org
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Why is the vhd-util binary committed to the CloudStack source repo?

CC'ing xen-api list.

On May 30, 2012 6:31 PM, "Anthony Xu" <Xuefei.Xu@citrix.com<mailto:Xuefei.Xu@citrix.com>>
wrote:

> All XenServer releases include vhd-util, in that version it saves local time as timestamp
in VHD file, it is probably okay with XenServer.
> But with CloudStack, CloudStack may move VHD file around to XenServer with different
time zone, XenServer may think the VHD file is broken because
> the timestamp in the VHD file is behind its local time.
>
> We put the vhd-util source in tools/vhd-tools/, which is originally coming from xen 4.1
source code. We removed the check of timestamp to workaround above issue.

> The reason we need vhd-util binary is,
> Vhd-util is supposed to run on XenServer host, which is a 32 bit OS. But most developer
machines are 64 bit OS.

This isn't something that needs to be fixed, I suppose, but it might be a good idea to patch
vhd-util to either ignore timestamps, as you've done, or to use utc instead. We could then
put this version of vhd-util in XenServer, and work on upstreaming it to Xen.

Any thoughts on this from xen-api?

Mike