cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Prachi Damle <Prachi.Da...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Patches review
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:54:13 GMT
+1 to use some tool for review rather than using emails.

I am struggling with email patches through Outlook still and haven't found a clean solution
yet.
I have no personal experience but have heard about Gerrit being good to achieve what is being
listed below by Alena.

-Prachi

-----Original Message-----
From: Alena Prokharchyk [mailto:Alena.Prokharchyk@citrix.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:46 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Patches review

I know it's been discussed in several email threads, but I would like to initiate a separate
discussion on what tool we should use for reviweing the patches.

Several people (including myself - using Outlook on Mac OS X Lion) have been struggling already
with applying email patches using "git am". Some patches appear to be broken, email file import/save
is different in various email clients, etc. But the main disadvantage - there is no other
way to track patch flow history rather than gathering email by subject.
For instance, I would like to see the patch history in some centralized
place:

* when patch was created
* who picked up the patch for the review and when
* what was fixed after first, second,...n review
* when the patch was merged to the mainstream.

I think we should start using the official tool for that - Gerrit/Reviewboard/etc.

Please follow up with your suggestions and preferences.

-Alena.