cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patches review
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:27:32 GMT

On 14/06/2012, at 1:09 AM, David Nalley wrote:

>>> So I have seen a lot of folks who use this approach, but that
>>> typically means that the mailing list gets cced on every action in the
>>> bugtracker. (mailing lists are where everything happens in Apache
>>> projects) We are already on track to hit 1,000 messages on this list
>>> alone this month - are we sure we want to add Jira traffic to that
>>> volume?
>>>
>>> --David
>>>
>> If we don't use the project's bug tracker to track the progress of bugs
>> and there patches, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having it?
>>
>> Keeping the patch file attachments in Jira would keep those file
>> attachments out of the mailing list (reduction of traffic), and we
>> wouldn't run into MTA/MUAs mangling them.
>>
>> If someone makes a comment in Jira, then CCs the mailing list, that
>> isn't any more mailing list traffic than sending to the same thing to
>> the mailing list alone.
>>
>> Fred Wittekind
>

> Those are compelling arguments.

There's also no problem setting up additional lists if needed so that people on the dev list
can focus on development discussion. Many projects have an "issues" dedicated list, or send
their issue notifications to the commits list, to better segregate traffic. Either way, it
is reasonably easy to filter messages of a certain type based on the sender and headers.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org