cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Murali Reddy <Murali.Re...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: basic zone for public clouds
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 17:16:27 GMT

>> When EIP feature is enabled, all tenant instances automatically get a
>> public IP that is 1:1 NAT to their RFC1918 IP.
>
>Is it true for SSVM and CPVM as well? If so, it will be a minor change
>for SSVM and CPVM to hand out the public IP backed by EIP to support the
>feature Murali asks. Otherwise, the public IP/VLAN has to be provided
>inside SSVM/CPVM, while currently SSVM and CPVM do not do that by default.

I think SSVM, CPVM will have to use public IP backed by EIP model.
Directly assigning public IP to SSVM, CPVM may result them to be
non-routable. For e.g NetScaler that provides EIP/ELB service can be the
only data entry/exit point in a zone and may be setup in two-arm mode[1]
where only NetScaler is in public network. So SSVM/CPVM on the pod's
subnet may not be reachable even if they have public IP.

[1]:http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/netscaler-getting-started-map-
91/ns-nw-twoarm-mul-sbnt-con.html