cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David Nalley <>
Subject [DISCUSS] where to begin the process for Apache CloudStack 4.0.0
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 21:04:31 GMT
Hi folks,

I probably should have started this discussion a few days back. We
currently have two branches in the repo 3.0.x and master, and we need
to decide what we want to base 4.0.0 on.

My personal take:
We should take 3.0.x and run with it - it has a minimum of new
features over the last CloudStack release - is comparatively stable,
was undergoing lots of testing right before the transition to the ASF
git repo. This comparatively stable base allows us to focus on just
the changes needed to get the first release out (which obviously would
also have to be committed into the master branch at the same time).
The master branch has a lot more future development [1]

My concern is that there is a non-trivial amount of work to get our
first release out including but not limited to:

* Notice and License file creation
* Getting new copyright/header information in place
* Removing deps that aren't licensed with an ASF-approved license.

If we couple that with trying to get new features in - along with the
extended QA and devel cycles - we extend the time period for the first
ACS release.

So I'd propose we adopt the following:

>From this point forward bugfixes only into the 3.0.x branch - and we
begin focusing on getting an ASF-acceptable release ready
Simultaneous push of bugfixes up to master.
New features going to master for 4.1.x  (though our focus should
really be on getting an ASF-acceptable release out)
Rename the 3.0.x branch to 4.0.x to reflect reality.

Thoughts, comments, flames?


[1] git log --left-right --graph --cherry-pick --oneline 3.0.x...master

View raw message