cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] releases going forward
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 19:13:07 GMT
My concern here is that the roadmap has lots of new features, and we do not want to be waiting
6 months for the next release which was due out in May

Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nalley [mailto:david@gnsa.us]
Sent: 14 May 2012 20:07
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] releases going forward

Hi folks,

We had some chatter on private@ list regarding the approrpiateness of announcing the 3.0.2
release on the ASF-hosted lists - and that turned into a discussion of where we go from here
with regards to releases with a few opinions circling on whether we should assume that it's
the last release to be generated by Citrix - and when the Apache CloudStack community will
assume responsibility. Matt dutifully reminded us that the discussion need not be private
- and thus I am bringing that discussion here.

The concern is that there is a fairly significant amount of work to be done to generate an
Apache CloudStack release - a good deal of which will be trial and error and completely new
processes. By way of reference - it appears that Apache OpenOffice took about 10 months from
entering incubation to pushing out a release. I think we are substantially better off with
less to migrate than AOO - but nonetheless it could be a non-trivial amount of time, whereas
we have historically been doing about a release a month.

At the same time, pushing out a Citrix-generated CloudStack release is a pretty closed process
- QA happens behind closed doors, as does decision making about dates, release criteria, and
virtually everything else. It also requires a non-trivial amount of work for folks who presumably
would be otherwise engaged in pushing Apache CloudStack forward.

While I certainly hope that 10 (or even 6)  months doesn't go by without a release, my personal
inclination is to focus on Apache CloudStack - but I am but one voice - please discuss.

Thoughts, comments, flames?

--David

ShapeBlue provides a range of strategic and technical consulting services to help IT Service
Providers and enterprises to build a true IaaS compute cloud. ShapeBlue’s expertise, combined
with CloudStack technology, allows IT Service providers and enterprises to deliver true, utility
based, IaaS to the customer without reengineering existing physical, virtual or storage layers.