cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From George Reese <george.re...@enstratus.com>
Subject Re: Event Publish and Subscribe ( was perhaps Re: Cloudstack Questions )
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 12:24:42 GMT
Here's the way event pub sub should work…

People interested in events will subscribe to them via API and CloudStack will maintain a
record that includes:

* What type of event(s) the subscriber cares about
* The URI of an endpoint to notify on events
* An optional API key for signing event publications

If you want it to be really rich, you allow for multiple notifications endpoints, including
SMS and email.

When the existing event management system in CloudStack identifies a state change, it published
it to a message queue.

A new CloudStack component is subscribed to the message queue and pulls the state change off.
It then sends the event to all interested parties. It does not keep delivery state. It sends
and forgets. The only thing resembling state is the counting of failures, eventually killing
an endpoint that fails to often.

-George

--
George Reese - Chief Technology Officer, enStratus
e: george.reese@enstratus.com    Skype: nspollution    t: @GeorgeReese    p: +1.207.956.0217