cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Schweikert <rjsch...@suse.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] where to begin the process for Apache CloudStack 4.0.0
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 12:15:04 GMT
On 05/31/2012 12:35 AM, Kevin Kluge wrote:
> The master branch hasn't diverged much from the 3.0.x branch at this point.  I can't
name any divergence off the top of my head.  I would expect 3.0.x to be more stable, but if
there is another reason to go forth with master then I wouldn't stop that for stability reasons.

>> New features going to master for 4.1.x  (though our focus should really be on
>> getting an ASF-acceptable release out) Rename the 3.0.x branch to 4.0.x to
>> reflect reality.
>
> Renaming the branch will create confusion.  The previous 3.0.x releases have already
been done off of it so all the committers (and anyone else that has been looking at the code)
are expecting this to be the 3.0.x release set.  We could plausibly cut a 4.0.0 and future
4.0.x releases off the 3.0.x branch.  That is a little odd but (IMO) less confusing than renaming
the branch out from under people.

> We could also take a 4.0.x branch off 3.0.x or master.   That leaves open the option
of a later 3.0.x release on the 3.0.x branch.  That seems the cleanest approach to me, but
it would add some additional branch management overhead if fixes are needed in both 3.0.x
and 4.0.x.

> I might have a slight preference to branching 4.0.x off master.  Then we would establish
a pattern that major releases get branched from master, as was done for 3.0.0 and 4.0.0.
 This would extend naturally into 5.0.0, etc.  and is easy to explain to new committers.

I fully agree with Kevin. Branching 4.0.x off 3.0.x instead of master is
confusing. We should always branch major release branches off master.
This does not mean we have to branch 4.0.x of HEAD in master, we can
choose an earlier commit in master if there is concern that HEAD has
some instabilities.

My $0.02
Robert

Tech Lead