cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Schweikert <rjsch...@suse.com>
Subject Re: XAPI API (aka xenserver-java)
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 15:37:33 GMT
On 05/17/2012 01:26 AM, David Nalley wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> I saw the recent changes to the dependency license page[1] and wanted
> to discuss XAPI API - which I think is the xenserver-java package. I
> don't think this is in any of the currently targeted distributions.

And I just learned that this is Citrix-Xen specific, which would be a
reason that it is not in any distribution, i.e. no such bindings are
part of the Xen.org code.

This would imply that there is a potential that CloudStack depends on
APIs that are only available in the Citrix incarnation of Xen. This in
turn would put CS into an unfortunate position as CloudStack will not be
able to run on any distribution that supports Xen (Xen.org origin), but
will only be able to run on distros that also get Citrix-Xen.

This newly gained insight of course makes some of the earlier comments i
made in this thread useless. What would have to happen is that the
generation code would have to be pushed to Xen.org and CloudStack would
have to limit itself to those APIs.

> maintain this package for Fedora and EPEL (so you can install it on
> EL6.2 - but it's using a non-supported yum repo to do so.) Also I
> don't ship the patched version that ships with CloudStack today - I
> build from source as Fedora and EPEL have guidelines around patches,
> one of which requires at least upstreaming patches - and honestly I
> can't even find an upstream repo for it, much less a record of where
> the patches have been upstreamed.
>
> I am pretty certain that aside from my packaging work, no other distro
> has the above package - and a quick google supports that belief.
>
> --David
>
> [1] http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/dev/Moving+dependencies+to+ASF+approved+licenses

Based on the above I think there is a lot of clarification necessary
w.r.t. the dependency list and it is necessary to sort out what the
Citrix product will use (Citrix-Xen presumably) and what an open source
incarnation of CloudStack depends on.

Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com