cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Schweikert <rjsch...@suse.com>
Subject Re: XAPI API (aka xenserver-java)
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 13:55:28 GMT
On 05/18/2012 06:49 AM, Mike McClurg wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:20 AM, David Nalley<david@gnsa.us>  wrote:
>> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Kevin Kluge<Kevin.Kluge@citrix.com>  wrote:
>>> David, I had assumed that we could just get this library released under AL2 and
bundle the jar with CloudStack.   It'd be great if distros picked it up but that seems more
difficult and longer term than a re-license, given our ability to influence the license of
this particular piece of software.  (My understanding is that Citrix wrote all that code,
and it could be released under multiple licenses if needed, which would presumably not upset
the Xen/XenServer community.)

>>> -kevin
>>
>> Ahh - I was unaware that this was a solely Citrix-written piece of
>> software, unlike the rest of Xen* - If we can get it relicensed,
>> that's better, perhaps we can get our changes upstreamed at the same
>> time.
>
> Hi all,
>
> I just checked the XenServer API bindings for Java, and it seems that
> we've dual-licensed them under the LGPLv2 and Apache v2.0 licenses.
> Are there different XenServer API bindings for Java that are licensed
> differently, that I'm not aware of?
>
> These bindings are autogenerated, which is why there is no source
> repository for them. The license on the API bindings generation code
> is GPLv2, so I don't see any reason why we couldn't publish the source
> repo for these bindings.

But shouldn't the binding generation code then be part of the xen-server
source base?

I am a bit confused here. It sounds to me that CS depends on Java
bindings to Xen-server, yet the bindings are maintained separately from
the server code, do I understand this correctly? If this is the case
then this is rather strange, I think. For almost every code base that
generates language bindings the generation code/templates/setup is part
of the cde base in question, why would this be any different for xen-server?

Thanks,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com