cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Two Issues with XenServer 6.0.2 and CS 3.0.1
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 21:17:47 GMT
Matthew,

Removing and then re-adding Pri Storage will not wipe the LUNs and the existing VHD files
which are there, assuming the associated Guest Instances are still in the database should
also remap.

How to avoid this in the future? It's pretty rare for a XenServer cluster to bomb out in this
way, but a 'standby cluster' would not really help as that would have its own Storage Pool.
 However having at least two Primary Storage pools in the Cluster (eg two iSCSI LUNs) will
allow you to migrate Guest Instances between them should you detect any problems.

Also having multiple PODs and Clusters and forcing the distribution of Guest Instances for
a particular Account to be spread amongst them, rather than relying on the default 'Random'
allocation policies reduces risks in the event of any failures.

If you do have data on the existing Primary Storage and want to be über safe (my preferred
stance) then copy the VHDs off first, you can always re-import them back into CloudStack via
Templates if you have to, but I assume as there are no clients on this system yet the LUNs
should be empty.

Kind Regards

Geoff Higginbottom
CTO / Senior Consultant