cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Prasanna Santhanam <Prasanna.Santha...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: E-Mail client guidelines on the mailing list
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 16:03:29 GMT
That is some good guidance on netiquette even though its almost 15 years since it was written:

Perhaps it is my oversight but I've read the RFC before and I didn't come across any section
that talked about bottom-posting as a general guidance. (Please point me to the right section
if I did miss it) It does however recommend proper snipping/trimming to indicate what part
of discussion one is responding to, which is something you have demonstrated in your response.
And it is a good practice IMO.

But when strictly adhered to I feel bottom-posting also bloats up email (its the same content
above or below) and conversations become illegible.

I guess from this confluence of two cultures (b-posters and t-posters) I would vote for inline,
legible, clear to read communication over strict top posting/bottom posting.

--Prasanna

------Original Message------
From: Alex Karasulu
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
ReplyTo: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Sent: 8 May 2012 19:18

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@suse.com> wrote:

> On 05/08/2012 04:16 AM, Ram Chinta wrote:

[SNIP]

There's a nice IETF RFC on this:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

There's also this really nice essay I always like to read from Eric Raymond.

I'm not suggesting anyone is doing anything wrong here and nor is
anyone here of inferior intellect: it's just the title Eric chose the
essay :-). Sometimes I re-read this essay and realize that I can
always improve and often slide on my netiquette.

Alex's Thought Exercise
-------------------------------

Everyone knows the concept of the devil. Whether you believe it or not
does not matter however presume you were given the job of being the
head master of making sure that all man kind failed to reach it's
potential. Now how best could you sabotage humanity with the least
effort?

We spend a lot of time communicating, and flaws in communication (I've
seen it here) can either lead to the best of friends or the worst of
enemies. Comm is the basis of both communication and community. When
communication

------Original Message Truncated------