climate-dev mailing list archives

From Cameron Goodale <good...@apache.org>
Subject Handling Different Times in the new OCW code
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 22:29:46 GMT
Hey Team,

So I just ran into an issue with using two monthly datasets that are not
pinned to the same day of the month.  One uses the first, and the other
uses the 15th.

See:

(datetime.datetime(1989, 1, 1, 0, 0), datetime.datetime(1989, 1, 15, 0, 0))

My question to the team is:  Where should date time normalizing happen?
 Should this be something that is done when a new Dataset object is created?

We have the existing code in toolkit.process normalizeDatetimes() which
does the following:

Normalization Rules::

        Daily data will be forced to an hour value of 00:00:00

        Monthly data will be forced to the first of the month at midnight

I am not sure if this is something we should do for the user during Dataset
Object Creation, or if they need to explicitly call a dataset_processor
function instead.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

-Cameron