click-user mailing list archives

From C Jennings <>
Subject Re: Does Apache Click support Captchas?
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:50:50 GMT
Well I tried a slightly different approach and attempted to implement the reCaptcha web service.
This worked fine in my Spring prototype whereby I merely added the sample Javascript below
to my form and then read it's request/response parameters in my Spring MVC Controller.

However, when I tried to implement reCapthca using Click, I am unable to pass any values back
to my Page class. Both of these parameters return null:

String challenge = getContext().getRequest().getParameter("recaptcha_challenge_field");
String response = getContext().getRequest().getParameter("recaptcha_response_field");

 I guess it makes sense as I only have one parameter on my HTM page, namely $form. Since the
WebService reCaptcha sript lies"outside" or below the $form on my page, I wonder, then if
it is even possible to embed a Javascript element inside a form using Click? Otherwise, how
else could you pass back any arguments to the Page class?

<script type="text/javascript"
    <iframe src="<your_public_key>"
        height="300" width="500" frameborder="0"></iframe><br>
    <textarea name="recaptcha_challenge_field" rows="3" cols="40">
    <input type="hidden" name="recaptcha_response_field"

Thanks again,

----- Original Message ----
From: Bob Schellink <>
Sent: Sat, April 3, 2010 2:24:04 AM
Subject: Re: Does Apache Click support Captchas?

Hi Conor,

Depends on the markup you need to render for the Captcha service to work. Although I haven't

incorporated a Captcha myself I'd imagine you'll need to create a custom Field that renders
HTML/JavaScript expected by the captcha service.

kind regards

On 3/04/2010 9:08 AM, C Jennings wrote:
> Hi -
> Just curious if Apache Click was be integrated with a Captcha Generation Service? I've
done this recently using a Spring Framework with JCaptcha. However, that approach required
the use of a Spring MVC Controller which is not supported with the Click framework.
> If anyone has had an success with implementing a Captcha service with a Click framework,
I'd appeciate it if you could share some pointers.
> Many thanks
> Conor

View raw message