click-user mailing list archives

From pbm-r...@gmx.net
Subject Redirect/forward after longer background operation
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 00:35:56 GMT
Hi all,

I'm working on a dialog/wizard style web page: a couple of forms to gather data from the user,
then a longer process that calculates some MD5 sums and a final page showing the result of
the operation.

I'm wondering what the best way would be to indicate to the user that an operation is running
in the background and also automatically showing the result, once complete.

Ideally I would put an icon/progress bar on the page while the background process on the server
calculates the MD5 sums (in my example) and would need to automatically redirect the page
once that's done.

I'd like to avoid extensive AJAX/JavaScript if possible. One idea I had was to show a page
with a progress bar that takes the id of the background process as GET parameter and refreshes
every 2 seconds. Based on the id I can determine the status of the background operation and
send a final redirect once that's done. Seems a bit cumbersome, though...

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rico.