click-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Click and the Attic
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 07:00:49 GMT
At the May meeting today, the board accepted the resolution to move oversight of Click to the
Attic PMC. Several of those steps are now under way.

Thanks,
Brett

On 16 Apr 2014, at 4:10 pm, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:

> In September, the question of the Attic was broached with Click, and there was some pushback
that it was still actively used and perhaps development was "done". There was some discussion
of it becoming "Dormant". When I first visited it in November, it coincided with a big burst
of JIRA activity, but that didn't continue in the last 5 months.

> Activity can be very low as long as there are enough people there to be responsive to
requests and monitoring the project's resources. The PMC should still be capable of making
a decision by vote, such as a release or addition of a new committer, should that happen.
Unfortunately, Click currently doesn't appear to have enough PMC members active, and the previous
chair has resigned.

> At this point, Click can either decide to go to the Attic, or get enough PMC members
to agree to keep the lights on, and nominate a new chair.

> If the PMC is not willing to continue, but there are a group of users who wish to try
and reignite the project, it can also be put as a proposal to the incubator.

> For the record, this is the actual Attic process: http://attic.apache.org/process.html.
Note that distributions, website and users lists remain, albeit with a disclaimer of inactivity.

> I'll keep an eye out over the next month, and if there's no movement then I'll take the
previous chair's recommendation and create a resolution to move the project's oversight to
the Attic.