click-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis M. J. Yerger" <dennisyerge...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Retirement into the Attic
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2013 15:07:20 GMT
Earlier this year I joked about the inactivity of Click being due to its being the perfect
framework. The comments so far on this discussion illustrate why I made that joke. Click just
works if you're a Java-centric developer who prefers to rapidly build a Web application with
minimal HTML. However, I do believe Click has room for growth, and I would hate to see it
retired at this point. I would be on board to continue the project, but I would need some
guidance on the overall process. I hope others will join in too.

From: tamasbalazs@outlook.com
To: dev@click.apache.org
Subject: RE: [DISCUSS] Retirement into the Attic
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:08:58 +1030

I agree with Mikhail at several points - Click works - its very basic, very usable and very
stable - and that is why it rocks. If I were after a bloatware web-framework there are endless
number of examples out there, but what I - and most probably the majority of us here - really
need is a simple and usable one.

Moreover, as it was pointed out well in several emails that the stalled development is probably
originated from the fact that the framework does what it needs to do without any hiccups.
I strongly believe that what works well and serve it purposes with high efficiency should
not be compromised, or made to work "even better".

Last but not least, should the framework goes to the attic, it wouldn't stop me using it in
the future. On the other hand I am sure that should the Attic will be the final decision -
which is not exactly the best way to promote any product - there will be several developers
out there, who will need an easy solution for web development and they will just start making
their very own simplistic stateless framework based on servlets and perhaps some open-source
template engine, which will essentially pretty similar to Apache Click. Correct me if I am
wrong, but is this really what ASF is likely to want from developers, reinventing the wheel?
Probably not...

Thanks
Tamas