click-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Retirement into the Attic
Date Sun, 22 Sep 2013 22:13:22 GMT
On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 5:16 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> This is a good point. Sometimes projects are just done, and
> retiring them to the Attic does portray a project that
> is no longer relevant or used or useful. Nor will people
> pick up and start using projects in the Attic.
>
> Maybe we need some other classification of project, like
> 'Dormant'. These would be projects that could obtain the
> required 3 developers and votes, but basically are
> just done; their reporting could be every 6 months, etc...
>
> Thoughts?

I'm very much in agreement that in Click's case Attic doesn't
sound right. In fact, if I look at the traffic on user mailing
list it feels like the community is still there.

At the end of the day, the criteria I'd personally use
for the attic decision is whether a community has
ceased to exist (user or dev -- doesn't matter).

So here's the question -- suppose from the feature
completeness perspective the project is considered
to be done and hence there's virtually none of the
dev community around it. Yet, the user community
is there. What does ASF do with a project like that?

Thanks,
Roman.