click-dev mailing list archives

From Lorenzo Simionato <lore...@simionato.org>
Subject Re: Properties file UTF-8
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:47:14 GMT
If in the next release Click will have a pluggable messages Map this could resolve most
of the problems, in fact as of now one must modify the click jar!
If click targets java 1.5 it seems that the only solution is the self made resource bundle
(given that the hack
is not a very clean solution).

How the situation is handled in a  couple of existing framework:
-Tapestry:
properties file encoded in UTF-8 by default.
They are read using an hack, see http://tinyurl.com/2g5m8zu

-Wicket:
properties file read using ResourceBundle (so ISO8859)
Ability to use read XML based properties in UTF-8, see http://tinyurl.com/37frn4m

-Grails:
properties file encoded in UTF-8 by default
It seems they are read using an hack, see http://www.grails.org/Internationalization

--
Lorenzo

On Nov 2, 2010, at 0:58 , Bob Schellink wrote:

> Hi Lorenzo,
>
> his has been brought up before but I can't recall if a proper solution was suggested.
>
> I know Java 5 introduced XML based properties, but I think key/value properties are preferred
as
> language packs. Java6 introduced more flexibility around loading bundles, but I'm not
sure how that
> works, and Click targets Java5.
>
> I'm not familiar with how Wicket and Tapestry solved the issue? Did they reimplement
ResourceBundle?