click-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Schellink <sab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New click user --> congratulations to the Apache Click Team
Date Sat, 06 Nov 2010 03:36:54 GMT
Hi Stephane and welcome,

On 5/11/2010 19:53, St├ęphane NICOLAS wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> my name is Stephane. I've been a java programmer for 12 years now. I never liked web
programming as
> I found web frameworks mostly bloated and encumbered by html-stateless/server stuff (I
tested
> tapestry and struts). So I just stopped learning web programming 5 years ago and thought
I would let
> things evolve and come back to the web when programming would be easier,

One of the great things that happened is Firefox and Firebug. For me those two tools had a
massive
impact on the way I do web programming. Together with the JS libraries (jQuery, Prototype,
MooTools
etc) it propelled web programming so far forward that today I'd rather do web programming
than Flex,
Swing or pretty much any stateful GUI toolkit.  Off course IE6-7 is still there to spoil the
party
and ensure we work hard for our money :).

The stateless nature of HTTP also guarantees loose coupling, and makes systems conceptually
quite
easy to understand. On the flip side the statelessness also makes it very hard (impossible?)
write very sophisticated (desktop like) UIs. I am wondering though if HTML5 and modern JS
engines
are going to change all that. Time will tell.

Kind regards

Bob

 more object oriented, more