click-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Schellink <sab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Properties file UTF-8
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2010 23:58:42 GMT
Hi Lorenzo,

his has been brought up before but I can't recall if a proper solution was suggested.

I know Java 5 introduced XML based properties, but I think key/value properties are preferred
as
language packs. Java6 introduced more flexibility around loading bundles, but I'm not sure
how that
works, and Click targets Java5.

I'm not familiar with how Wicket and Tapestry solved the issue? Did they reimplement ResourceBundle?

The next Click release will have a pluggable messages Map factory to change the default
implementation. Still I'd be interested to know if there is an easy way to achieve UTF-8 support.

There is this hack[1], but hacks make me nervous.

Kind regards

Bob

[1]: http://www.thoughtsabout.net/blog/archives/000044.html

On 2/11/2010 07:44, Lorenzo Simionato wrote:
> Hi,
> I see that properties file used for i18n must be encoded in ISO-8859-1 as the standard
Java class ResourceBundle is used.
> Using ISO-8859-1 is a little annoying, wouldn't be nice to use properties files encoded
in UTF-8 as it is done in Tapestry or Wicket ?