click-dev mailing list archives

From "Adrian A." <a.adrian.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should we
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 08:33:23 GMT
> 1) irc channel: I can create one on freenode. And we all can come there
> when we are online. That way users can get live help. Will also open
> scope for us to chat online. Most of the popular frameworks have
> channels under freenode. That way normal users also becomes helper for
> each other. And not to mention that, live helps are better then any sort
> of forum based (asynchronous) helps, because its live :). Of course
> cooperation from all will be needed for this.
I also don't think IRC is a solution for small/medium open source
projects, but the mailing lists.
Even for bigger projects, IMHO a Campfire like approach is better.

Not even many companies use IM because of the constant possibility of
distraction and workflow interruption.

On the other hand, many times I hear as an argument against Click
(compared to the concurrence) the low level of mailing list traffic :).
This is of course quite illogical - because of the very good Click
online documentation: the users have no need to constantly ask trivial
questions - but this doesn't seem to count in stats :).

> 2) Groups: There are some extremely popular groups I know, where we can
> post our updates and release news. These groups are Java user groups. I
> personally can take care of this posting new updates and releases.
Good idea, but this must be done very sensitively because of the
possibility to be interpreted as "spam" thus having the opposite effect.

> What you think? Also if you have other ides, please share.
1. More examples of applications/sites using Click + testimonials from
the users about how Click helped them.
2. Blog posts, articles (IMHO the most important popularization source)
on DZone, StackOverflow, InfoQ etc. (TSS seems lost). For bigger impact
they need to be from unbiased 3rd parties.
3. User integrations and examples of Click with other frameworks (e.g.
other ORMs too).
4. More tools with and for Click.

 From what I've experienced so far, the most convincing arguments for
those who usually decide (management, PLs), are (preferably commercial)
*live/public* applications with that specific framework. Unfortunately
until this moment, most Click apps are intranet based, so there's not
that much to show :(.

Adrian.