click-dev mailing list archives

From "Adrian A." <a.adrian.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Could Click run on SimpleWeb?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 08:38:25 GMT
> Could Click be modified/tweaked easily to run on SimpleWeb server?
>
> http://simpleweb.sourceforge.net/index.php
I don't think it would be an easy task.
If you count in how many places javax.* package is used, you will see
that it would require quite allot of changes.
If such a update would be made, than we would need to throw away the
backward compatibility (one of the main selling points of Click) since
the servlet API is also exposed to the user applications.

> SimpleWeb seems to be the fastest Java based HTTP server to date, and it
> supports Velocity too :).
It looks fast indeed, but the tests there compare SimpleWeb to jetty 6 -
not the new and faster jetty 7 :).
Also there's no comparison with Tomcat :) (at least 6, if not the new
and faster Tomcat 7 - still RC for now).

> Click needs a Servlet Container, but how much of it is really using
> (considering that Click has it's own life cycle)?
> Couldn't be that part a little bit more generic? (like the templating or the
> logging service )? To be able to run on SimpleWeb too?
I suppose you could try to run a Click application right now on
SimpleWeb too, since SimpleWeb
seems to have a Servlet adapter:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/simpleweb/files/simpleweb/4.0.6/simple-servlet-0.8.zip/download

(You can find some examples of running Tapestry and Wicket on SimpleWeb
on the net, so Click should run too)

Adrian.