click-dev mailing list archives

From "Adrian A." <a.adrian.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Make getHtmlImports final
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:52:08 GMT
> I've migrated the Controls to use getHeadElements instead of the old
> String based getHtmlImports.
FieldSet and FormTable still seem to use the old getHtmlImports.

> One of the dangers of this refactoring is
> the impact it can have on existing applications still using
> getHtmlImports. This is especially problematic where users have
> subclassed and overwritten
> getHtmlImports in order to specify alternative imports.
>
> Having a compile time error instead of a behavioral error is cheaper to
> fix, so I suggest we remove getHtmlImports completely and make it final
> in AbstractControl.
Than in the next version, the final getHtmlImports could be completely
removed from AbstractControl too?

> That way if it is subclassed the IDE will complain
> straight away prompting folk to upgrade to getHeadElements.
>
> Any thoughts?
+1

IMHO, this should be also mentioned in the upgrade path even if
getHtmlImports was made deprecated in the previous version.

Adrian.