click-dev mailing list archives

From "Adrian A." <a.adrian.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Static menu methods
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:21:43 GMT

> The static methods on Menu is proving quit problematic when extending
> the Menu control. I suggest we don't add static methods but rather look
> at other ways to building the Menu which also allows easy subclassing
> for custom features.
Hmm, there's no other easy/nice way IMHO, or a total refactoring of the
Menu class would be required.

The main problem is that the Menu is in fact a self referenced MenuItem.

This causes allot of confusion among users, and IMHO it's why is so hard
to extend too by users. It's also missing some user usable ID, since the
path must not be unique (i.e. more menu items could point to the same path).

Maybe a better way would be to have Menu and MenuItem classes (similar
to Swing and other frameworks). This way there would be no need for
static methods at all.

Adrian.