click-dev mailing list archives

From "Adrian A." <a.adrian.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Update RichTextArea example
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:00:21 GMT
> What is the issue with the YUIRichText editor? Size or dependencies?
Size, dependencies, complexity.
Even if it's a quite well documented library, users find it quite complex.
For the WYSIWYG, I see that people still prefer TinyMCE.

For JS libraries in general, after the first WTF (because of the unusual
approach), most users I've worked with find jQuery the most productive
(but it has also the biggest number of books too :) ).

> but the potential issue we have
> with JS libraries is that the runtime environments (browsers) are not
> stable, and can necessitate constant maintenance of the libraries.
I'm aware of this problem, but since JS is the only "spice" for the web
right now,
IMHO there's not much we can do. Minimizing the use of JS in Click would
not be a very smart option since the direction of all frameworks (and
user's request too) is for more JS: and even the browser support goes in
this direction - see the JS threads, and JS engine performance increases
of the newer browsers.

Adrian.