click-dev mailing list archives

From "Adrian A." <a.adrian.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Update RichTextArea example
Date Sun, 12 Jul 2009 14:40:11 GMT
> We need to be careful about adding further JavaScript dependencies.
> JSCalendar was abandoned. The CalendarDateSelect project seems to have
> lost steam.
>
> I guess that is the risk of relying on libraries that only have a single
> developer.
This is how most of the very good quality software is - with only one
main developer
that does most of the work and keeps the "vision".
When the team is big, the software is bloated too, and just plain
mediocre :). Of course that this is a an over-generalization from my
side, but just way too many open source projects fit in this scenario :).

> Looking further into Nicedit today, it seems to have the same problem in
> that there is only a single developer on the project.
> Furthermore I'm
> not even sure its a true open source project.
It has a MIT license.

> At least I could not find
> the source repository on the site.
It's here:
http://svn.nicedit.com/trunk

> Come to think of it, perhaps Nicedit isn't a viable replacement for YUI
> at this stage.
>
> An alternative might be Xinha[1] which is used by Apache Roller.
I'm not sure if Roller is the best example :).
http://www.bileblog.org/2007/03/here-we-go/

Adrian.