click-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <...@husted.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:37:34 GMT
> My understanding is that GAE only supports JPA and JDO (no jdbc) so we'll
> have to port Cayenne to JPA to host the examples there.

(Just thinking out load ...)

Cayenne had made a push to support a JPA provider in Cayenne 3.0, but
that work was abandoned.

* http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/guide-to-30-features.html

Would the notion of a GAE adapter for Cayenne make any sense. Instead
of talking to Derby or HSQLDB, it would talk to JPA or JDO.

Of course, the big fix, would be to abstract Cayenne so that Click
could talk to Cayenne or a JPA provider (espeically since there won't
be JPA in C3). But, I expect that would be a lot of work.

> If Cayenne is using an in memory database, does GAE care?

Using HSQLDB in memory is an interesting idea, so long as there isn't
a GAE/J ceiling on RAM. (It's also something we can test in
isolation.)

RAM is not listed specifically as a resource

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dLfQMJsmsaI/SUg3NOeljVI/AAAAAAAAACA/Yh0ug378x6g/s1600-h/billing-blog-post-100percent.png

and of course, the notion has been around for a long time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-memory_database

(Though, I'd feel better if HSQLDB was backed up as a blob of
something in the real datastorage area.)

-Ted.