click-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <...@husted.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 00:12:14 GMT
Just to call this out, it's a common practice among several ASF
projects to roll a release and then decide the quality. The notion is
rather than roll 2.1.0-RC1, we roll 2.1.1 and then vote on whether the
quality is alpha, beta, or GA. Sometimes a release will start off as a
beta, and then graduate to GA. A huge benefit is that work can
continue on 2.1.2, regardless of what happens to 2.1.1. Apache HTTPD
uses this approach, as does Tomcat, Struts, and many others.

Of course, the foundation doesn't dictate a release scheme (only that
the package meets legal standards), and Click is free to use whatever
scheme works best for the PMC.

-Ted.