click-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Schellink <sab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A very good Calendar replacement (MIT license)
Date Sat, 18 Apr 2009 17:12:54 GMT
Joseph Schmidt wrote:
>> Please note this is a Prototype based Calendar so its claim of only
>> 20kb is incorrect. More likely 20kb + 115kb for Prototype.
> But Prototype is already required by other Click controls, and
> it's in extras anyway.

Not saying not to include it. Just providing full disclosure and that
we need to be careful with siding with a particular JS framework.

For example if you include a Prototype control in your Page and want
to use JQuery you are bound to run into incompatibility issues since
Prototype have the bad practice of polluting Object. Also both
frameworks bind the '$' character.

> Besides, if you want to remove Prototype than another base library needs
> to take it's place - e.g. jQuery(cause it's small enough compared to
> other solutions) - it doesn't make sense to implement everything by hand.

There are no plans of removing the Prototype controls however we need
to be careful because we are forcing the Prototype framework onto users.

My own feeling is that its better to host specific JS framework
controls in ClickClick like was done with JQuery.

regards

bob