chukwa-user mailing list archives

From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log rotation
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:08:29 GMT
This thread reminded me of another related question I've been meaning to
ask. My implementation is similar to the one you describe Ari, where we tail
a single file indefinitely, but periodically it gets rotated by the Linux
logrotate script, which handles cleanup of old files (I don't think Chukwa
should handle this necessarily).

My question is how does the agent handle the character offset marker when a
file it's tailing gets truncated during rotation? Does it just reset it back
to 0 when it sees that the file suddenly has no content?