chukwa-user mailing list archives

From Ariel Rabkin <asrab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New to chukwa - problems running agent
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:25:45 GMT
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Bill Graham <billgraham@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers, I'm now able to write data to the cluster using the
> telnet approach. The conf/initial_adaptors approach isn't working for me
> though. The agent starts but no adapter is registered. This is what I've
> done:

Can you check the agent logs, and send me what you have if the problem
isn't obvious?  [Off-list, I think, is best]

> Also is there anything Hadoop-specific in the data transmission between the
> agent and the collector? I want to be sure it's safe to include the hadoop
> 0.20.1 jar with the agent, but use 0.18.3 on the collector and the cluster.
> I haven't run into any issues, but just wanted to check.

The format of the data transmission is a sequence of Chukwa Chunks,
serialized in a well-defined way.  It should be absolutely OK to mix
and match Hadoop jar versions between agent and collector. That sort
of configuration has been extensively tested -- a number of sites have
similar Hadoop version mixes.

--
Ari Rabkin asrabkin@gmail.com
UC Berkeley Computer Science Department