chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Google Summer of Code 2017 is coming
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2017 22:35:21 GMT
Google Summer of Code [1] is a program sponsored by Google allowing students to spend their
summer
working on open source software. Students will receive stipends for developing open source
software
full-time for three months. Projects will provide mentoring and project ideas, and in return
have
the chance to get new code developed and - most importantly - to identify and bring in new
committers.

The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual projects don't have
to apply
separately.

If you want to participate with your project we ask you to do the following things as soon
as
possible but by no later than 2017-02-09:

1. understand what it means to be a mentor [2].

2. record your project ideas.

Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2017, and they will show up at [3]. Please
be as
specific as possible when describing your idea. Include the programming language, the tools
and
skills required, but try not to scare potential students away. They are supposed to learn
what's
required before the program starts.

Use labels, e.g. for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang, python, brainfuck, ...)
or
technology area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...).

Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording your ideas if your project doesn't use JIRA
(e.g.
httpd, ooo). Contact dev@community.apache.org <mailto:dev@community.apache.org> if you
need assistance.

[4] contains some additional information (will be updated for 2017 shortly).

3. subscribe to mentors@community.apache.org <mailto:mentors@community.apache.org>;
restricted to potential mentors, meant to be used as a
private list - general discussions on the public dev@community.apache.org <mailto:dev@community.apache.org>
list as much as possible
please). Use a recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org <http://apache.org/>
or one of your alias addresses on
record).

Note that the ASF isn't accepted as a participating organization yet, nevertheless you *have
to*
start recording your ideas now or we will not get accepted.

Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully. Some of our prior
students are active contributors now! Let's make this year a success again!

Cheers,

Uli

P.S.: Except for the private parts (label spreadsheet mostly), this email is free to be shared
publicly if you want to.

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/ <https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/>
[2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html <http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html>
[3] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2017ideas <http://s.apache.org/gsoc2017ideas>