chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Apr 2013 ([ppmc])
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 06:43:11 GMT
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2013, at 8:27 AM, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 7, 2013, at 11:48 PM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't think talking on the dev list about retirement is helpful, it
> will
> >> discourage people from participating.
> >
> > I disagree.  Transparency is one of the hallmarks of the ASF.

Its not about transparency Alan its about fostering an environment that
will encourage participation.

> >> There is no imminent threat of
> >> retirement.
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> >> Poddlings can continue on in the Incubator as long as they need
> >> so long as there are still mentors willing, I'm happy to continue as
> mentor
> >> here for as long as needed, so so can Chukwa.
> >
> > I also am happy to let Chukwa incubate but would like to see concrete
> metrics that we all agree on as to what constitutes a viable project.

Lets have that discussion general@. One thing we can do is look at past new
TLPs to see how low activity has been to be accepted in the past.

> >> Lets talk about things in
> >> terms of whats needed to graduate.
> >

> > Agreed.
> >
> > With that said, I will not sign off on the report until we include some
> passage that explicitly states that the community is concerned about the
> lack of activity and is taking measures to attempt to remedy the situation.
>
> I've added these bits:
>
> Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
>
>   1. Chukwa wiki is currently hosted in Hadoop subproject, it may be good
> to move it fully independent of Hadoop wiki.
>   2. Overall activity is dwindling.  The podling needs to grow its active
> community.
>
> Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
> aware of?
>
>   * The podling is still working on increasing community activity.  It's
> hoped that the addition of three new committers will help.
>
> Feel free to voice your opinion if you disagree with these entries.

I've made a slight tweak to have it sound less negative.

   ...ant